Magento 2 Extensions:Custom SMTP
Take full control over email sending settings in Magento 2! Easily configure your SMTP settings in Magento 2, including ready-to-use settings for more than 27 providers, as well as the ability to debug email delivery issues and make sure emails are sent properly using the extensions built-in email log.
Interested in this Magento Extension?
Head over to our store to purchase this extension: Custom SMTP Settings (Magento 2)
Got questions? Feel free to contact us! Contact Form
Setting up the extension
- Please refer to our general Extension Installation and Setup Guide for installation instructions.
The extensions configuration section is located at System > XTENTO > Custom SMTP. Make sure to enable the module there.
Then, either use one of the ready-to-use settings templates, or simply enter the SMTP details of your provider including username/password there. Then, scroll to the bottom and use the "Test" section to send a test email to yourself, to verify the settings. Then, save the configuration.
E-Mails will now be sent using the Custom SMTP extension.
Using the extension
If logging has been enabled in the modules configuration, simply go to Reports > E-Mail Log to check/look up any sent email.
OpenSSL Error messages: error:14090086:SSL routines:ssl3_get_server_certificate:certificate verify failed
This is a problem with your PHP configuration. See here for the solution: https://stackoverflow.com/questions/32019623/openssl-error-messages-error14090086ssl-routinesssl3-get-server-certificate
You will need to download the CA file and place it in the directory they state. Then add it to the php.ini file (you can find the "active" php.ini file using phpinfo()), then restart your webserver.
Make sure to properly set permissions as well, the /usr/ssl/certs/cacert.pem file should have chmod 755.
"Undefined / Timeout" while testing configuration
If you get a popup saying "Undefined / Timeout" when trying to test your SMTP configuration, there are two possibel reasons:
1) Your server is behind a firewall. Your server cannot connect to the SMTP server and the connection times out. Contact your web hoster. You can verify it like this:
cat < /dev/tcp/smtp.gmail.com/25
You should see some kind of response and no timeout.
cat < /dev/tcp/smtp.gmail.com/587
cat < /dev/tcp/smtp.gmail.com/465
2) This is probably caused by you having installed two SMTP extensions in your store. Make sure to remove any other SMTP extensions from third party vendors from your Magento installation, it doesn't make sense to have more than one SMTP extension in a Magento installation. For example, make sure to remove the MagePal_GmailSmtpApp extension.
"Client was not authenticated to send anonymous mail during MAIL FROM"
1) Double check the username and password. For example, Office 365 sometimes require the User ID including the domain name to be used, and not the actual email ID.
2) Enable "Override From" and make sure to use the email address that is allowed to send emails (same as login usually)
If this doesn't help: This is not an issue in our extension but rather the settings / your email provider. Consult with your email provider.
"Error while sending E-Mail: Syntax error in parameters or arguments"
This usually means one of the email headers is missing. If the "From" header is missing, you can simply enable "Override From Header" in the extensions configuration and set the correct from email address.
Only test emails are sent, no other emails are sent/logged
This means you have another extension installed that tries to set up SMTP settings in Magento. For example, a SMTP extension of another extension vendor. Make sure to remove such extensions from Magento before installing our extension. Also, we're aware of the "Dotmailer" Magento 2 extension (Dotdigitalgroup_Email) to also cause this issue, as it also sets up their own SMTP settings in Magento.